Sunday, July 24, 2011

Flexibility

It has been only sixty hours since we arrived in Tanzania... it feels like we have been here for days, though.  We went on a trip to a beach just off the coast of Dar es Salaam today, about a 45 minute boat ride one way.  The beach was beautiful, and full of shells... fresh fish for lunch, and shade to be found.  I am still feeling very out of sorts, almost like I have been ripped away from something familiar and tossed into the unfamiliar, and it always takes me a couple weeks to settle in... but watching the children today made me remember the most important quality of an international traveler.  Flexibility.
Zachary went down to the water with me, and we were running from the waves.  As we were playing, a little Masai boy came to join us.  He was smiling and running and jumping in the water with no fear... I looked around for his father, whom I had seen earlier in the day, but couldn't see anyone.  We had no language in common, and yet Zach found a way to share his joy with him.  It was wonderful to watch them laughing and shouting, exclaiming over the big waves crashing around them.  I was reminded that these are the moments of life, and that they are the same no matter where you are...
Living life in the moment is something that I am trying to do more of. 
One day at a time...

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. We have dear friends who are really enjoying their time in Dar, especially with their kids. You will be creating community in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how children can so easily get over obstacles such as language barriers and just enjoy life. Why is that adults have such a hard time with that? I hope your days in Dar are filled with many such "moments of life." Enjoy the tour!

    ReplyDelete