Monday, November 15, 2010

Aside

I was speaking with a woman the other day about this blog... we hardly know each other and yet we began to talk about our lives, about our children, etc.  She shared a bit about her daughter and her dreams to travel and work overseas... I began to tell her a bit more about my life and the adventures that I have had so far in other countries.  I told her a bit about this blog and she was very keen to read it.  She asked for the name of it so that she could look it up online, and I told her that it was titled, "Trials of a Trailing Spouse".  She gasped and said that this would never do for a name... that I had far too much "umf" to just follow someone around.  I laughed then, but went home thinking about it... maybe it's time to give this blog a new name.
So, I am putting it out there to see what people think.
New name?  Or leave it as it is?

4 comments:

  1. Also not a fan. I'm okay with accompanying spouse, and even diplowife, but I get ticked off at the trailing part. I mentioned it in this post: http://spectrummymummy.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/places/

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Trailing spouse" always makes me feel a bit like a length of toilet paper stuck to my husband's shoe! I like the "partner" bit of accompanying partner, as I definitely feel it IS a partnership, but accompanying just has too many syllables. Why can't we just use the word partner on it's own as in "the transferee and his/her partner?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very insightful and thought provoking comments. Thank-you so much! I have been thinking about it all day. I was out walking and came up with, "Journals of a traveling clan", "Tests for the traveling teacher", and "Trials of a life overseas". I am not so keen on "partner" or "diplomat", because I don't claim to be one... the UN is sort of in a class of its own, and the governments of the countries we have traveled to treat us differently, that's for sure.
    I do identify myself as a wife, as a mother, but also as a teacher... and I find fulfillment in all of them.
    Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bit late now, but "trailing" is ABSOLUTELY the word in some peoples' cases. No stigma. Not saying it describes everyone, or you in particular, but it wasn't as downbeat as you may have thought. At least, not to me, knowing you. :)

    ReplyDelete